Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July!!



As I'm sitting here thinking about the word America, I think of West Side Story. The wonderful, lovely, optimistic and thankful side sings "I like to be in America. Okay by me in America. Everything free in America." The slightly more cynical, perhaps burned once to often side sings "For a small fee in America." These days it seems like all we hear about is the bad. We're selfish and overweight people, who only think about themselves, and need the best and the most of everything. Or are we? Aren't we the people who cared so much about our freedom, that we sent out our men and our boys to fight for it. A freedom that our men and boys still fight for to this day.
I know that, speaking for myself, I'm grateful to live in a country where my daughters as well as my son can be anything they want to be. Where we can worship how we want, where we want, and when we want to. Where we don't have lines of people waiting for a few loaves of bread. I got an email from someone not long ago about these very things, and it made me think that we have 2 options. We can sit back and complain about the things we don't have, or we can be grateful for the things we do have, this wonderful country being one of them. I'm proud to be an American. Happy independence day!!


2 comments:

Kerilee Law said...

Well put.

Ben and Teri said...

Ivy, thanks for putting things into perspective. It's nice to see how your family is doing, you look like things are going well for you.