Sunday, September 7, 2008

Millions of peaches, peaches for me.....


It's that time of year again. The time of canning. Anyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy canning. I love the whole process that goes with it. Trying to decipher the ripe fruit from the fruit that should wait a few more days. Cleaning the fruit and scalding it. Cutting it up and putting it in jars with lots of sugar to make a yummy syrup. Putting it in a water bath, and waiting for the water to boil. Taking the jars out and and letting them cool. Oh, and my favorite part....the lovely "ping" that happens when the jar seals. When that "ping" happens, you can usually find me grinning from ear to ear, and either giggling, or saying "Yes!". We have 2 peach trees in our yard, but the peaches are not quite ready yet. Well, last week I received a call from my brother-in-law, telling me that their peaches were ready and I should come pick some. I picked enough to fill up a Costco milk box, and came back the next day to pick some more. For the first couple of days, we had fresh peaches. We had them on pancakes with whip cream for breakfast. We also had them cut up and sprinkled with a little bit of sugar, for an afternoon snack. Finally, the smell started to drive me crazy! (I know, not a far drive for me) I couldn't take it anymore, and decided I needed to can them that night. So, Friday night, after I cleaned my kitchen and put kids to bed, I started my canning process. I'm fortunate that my dear hubby, Kyle, always helps me with whatever I'm canning if he's home. He walked in the door while I was scalding and took over it for me, so that I could peel and cut the peaches up. Then, when I had each jar half-way full, he would put in 1/4 c of sugar for me. He also filled up the pot we use for our water bath, and boiled more water on the side to cover the jars. He was so awesome! After 1 1/2 hours, we were left with 11 jars of yummy, lovely peaches. I am very impatient for my own peaches to be ready, so I can do some more. I love this time of year!

6 comments:

Kerilee Law said...

I'm impressed - I have never canned a thing in my life and all the terms you use make me scratch my head. Maybe someday...

Diana said...

Look at you "little miss homemaker" You Amaze me. By the way I love that song it totally takes me back to high school. My sweet husband lost a bet because of it. Thank You Ivy!!! By the way the peach cobbler is my reciepe if you crazy kids would have come to the ward party you to could have had some. You were missed. Do you know how to make pickles?

Ben and Teri said...

Way to go Ivy. I am so jealous. They don't have good fruit down here for canning. I have made some jam, but I miss the fall canning frenzy. I agree with you about the ping sound. There is nothing like it in the world.

Bennett family said...

Good job, Ivy! Those jars look great! So, I need to learn from you cause I am uneducated in that area!

Christy said...

Ivy, I love that you do that. I can't wait to can some peaches. I just made strawberry/peach jam and it is delicious! Keep it up!

Marc and Shay said...

I am impressed, my mom canned, but I have yet to even attempt it. They look great!