Leilani is in the 5th grade, and apparently, the 5th graders are required to do science fair projects. I didn't know that. So Leilani and her BFF Jessalynne Clasby decided to test the strength of magnets at different temperatures. They tested them after being in boiling water, and after being put with dry ice. They did research on the Internet, and performed experiments at home, as well. I was so proud of these girls! They worked so hard. Last month was the science fair at their school, and their project was one of 15 chosen to go to the district level at Pleasant Grove High. We were all so excited!
Yesterday was the fair at Pleasant Grove, and we spent most of the afternoon and evening there. Leilani went home with Jessie so that they could go together to the High School at 330 and set up. After they set up their project, we left and met up with Kyle's mom for dinner. It was a nice night. We went to Bajio Grill, and I think the kids talked the entire time! (I know, I know, they take after their mom) At 6:30, we dropped Leilani off at the High School, where they had to wait quietly, by themselves (no parents allowed) until 8, when it was open to the public. We drove around Lindon and PG looking for a newspaper for Kyle's mom (her sister passed away this week, and she wanted the obit.), and we went back to the school at 8, where we met up with my parents. From 8 - 9 we walked around the cafeteria, looking at other projects, and visiting with some old friends we ran into. The awards were handed out at 9, and Leilani and Jessie's project received an Honorable Mention! I am so proud of them! They got a medal, which we can have engraved later. She was a little disappointed that they didn't make it to the next level, but she's happy that she made it as far as she has. She's already thinking about a project for next year. I don't know where she gets this drive to succeed at school from, but I'm really happy about it. I'm so proud of my not-so-little girl.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Magnets in Antarctica
Posted by Ivy at 8:04 AM
Labels: fun memories, Kids School, Leilani, science fair project
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS LANI!! That is AWESOME! I am so proud of her but what I really want to know is...what was the result? Did it make a difference.
Post a Comment