Sunday, April 19, 2009

Puerto Rico, My heart's devotion.......

I wanted to write a little more about the trip to Puerto Rico that Leilani and I took with my mom. It was wonderful! The best vacation I've had in years. There's something about going back to where your family comes from that's just so great. Words can't fully describe the feelings I had. I haven't been to P.R. since I was 13, and when I was there the last time, I got sick, so I don't remember much. This time was great. We arrived there at 9pm, and we were exhausted. Thankfully, my mom had found a great deal at the Caribe Hilton in Old San Juan, and we stayed there for 2 nights. We toured around Old San Juan, and had some yummy food. It was great. That Thursday, my mom's uncle, aunt, her cousin and his partner met us at the hotel to take us to their home in San German. This is the uncle who helped to raise my mom, so he was kind of like a grandpa for Leilani and Me. We visited the town where my father lived before he moved to New York, and we took the ferry back to Old San Juan. We spent the next couple of days just hanging out, and getting ready for the big party, our cousin Edlisse's Quinceanera. It was so much fun. Her theme was The Phantom of the Opera, and she had 14 attendants!

The girls wore beautiful pink dresses, and the boys wore tuxes with white mask's. It looked like a mini-wedding. We went to a catholic church, where Edlisse received a blessing from her priest. Afterwards we went to a little convention center, where the kids did a dance to the song "Masquerade" from the movie. After the program, there was great food and dancing. As I watched from my table, I noticed how it didn't matter what age people were or what shape they were in. Everyone just danced. Old and young, thin and not so thin. They just danced. Puerto Ricans sure know how to party! It was great. I danced with my cousin Eric, but I really wished my dad had been there. He would have had a blast! We went home early because Leilani was falling asleep at the table, and I had a stomach ache. The next day, we drove around the island with my mom's cousin Monchi, and her uncle and aunt. It was so great. Leaving the island wasn't easy for my mom. Living in Utah hasn't been the easiest for her, and coming back after spending a week on an island where people are kinder because they're your people, well, it wasn't easy. It was very bittersweet for me, too. I had just spent a week with my family, who loved me and adored my daughter. I watched her communicate with her cousins, and get lots of hugs and kisses from her great-great aunt and uncle, people who she had never met before, but loved just because they're her family. While I was happy to come home and sleep in my own bed and see my other 2 kids and hubby, leaving that peaceful, loving environment wasn't easy. As I said before, there's just something about going back to where your people come from.

1 comments:

Ben and Teri said...

What a wonderful trip with your Mom and Leilani. That is so great that you got to go back and visit your family.